Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Happy New Year





Cartwheels on the Beach!

Hope everyone had a great New Years! Mine was amazing. You know how people always hype up New Years and then it never seems to be that great, well I am happy to report that mine was quite fun! I decided to stay in Khoa Lak for the celebrations and to hangout with my pals just a few days longer. My friend from back home, Jonathan, arrived in Khoa Lak on Saturday, so he was able to partake in the celebrations as well.


Look its proof that Jonathan is here! (we were hiking in Khao Lak National Park)

Here is a quick recap of my last week!Wednesday the 26th, was the 3rd anniversary of the Tsunami. As I have written already I meet a wonderful women, Dee, who is a tsunami survivor. She is such a strong and positive person, it is joy to be around her. I went with her to several ceremonies and we even ventured out into the sea to place a wreathe, in honor of her boyfriend, and his parents who were all killed in the Tsunami, on a large rock near the coast. There were many frogs on these rocks.... I don't like frogs and they were jumping all over, so its a miracle I didn't abort the mission of finding the perfect place for the wreathe. We also attended a candle light vigil lead by a group of monks. It was a beautiful procession down to the beach where candles were placed along the beach. We then also lit lanterns in honor of Tom, Carole, and Colin. This is a Thai tradition and is absolutely beautiful! At one of the larger ceremonies they let off 5,000 lanterns into the night sky! Really an amazing sight, one that leaves you with goose bumps.


Letting a lantern fly away


Candle Light Vigil on the Beach
My last few days were filled with lots of time with friends and playing. I meet some other great volunteers too! There is Rene, who is originally from South Africa, but has been living in Australia for the last 10 years or so. Then there is the adorable Marc, my lovely Spanish friend. He is on month 2 of a year of traveling. I am hoping to meet up with him at some point somewhere. Marc has the best accent, especially when saying words like 'sheet' and 'beach'!


Dee and I- one of my last nights in Khao Lak


One of my favorite drink combos... Singha and Sprite ( usually they bring you a glass)

Marc introduced us all to a Spanish New years tradition, one I think I will keep. The last 12 seconds of the year you have to put one grape in your mouth each second. Since all the grapes in Thailand have seeds, we all prepared ours and had them lined up and ready to go. Funny thing is we somehow missed the first 4 seconds of the countdown and were forced to just shove half the grapes in at once! It was hilarious!

Marc with 12 grapes in his mouth!


Me, Rene, Marc, and Dee... New Years Eve
I spent my last few days on the beach, visiting the Khoa Lak National Park and just having a pretty amazing time with some amazing people. Wish you all could have been there too! I Have been a bit sleep deprived the last week... there just really has been no time to sleep. On New Years Day, I flew up to Bangkok on about 3 hours of sleep and well there has been lots to see here, so sleeping hasn't made too high on the priority list.


Jonathan, Me and Marc on New Years

Bangkok is a big big, somewhat dirty city. It does have some charm though. I have discovered KhoaSan road and well pretty much love it. It is the backpackers haven in the city, so I fit right in. I have found that I like the smaller, little sister of Khaosan, called Rambutri Rd. I thought my hotel was going to be in this area... and well its not, its in Chinatown,(I feel like I am in Hong Kong again)

Jonathan arrived the morning after I did, so we have been sightseeing and walking around the city. Both Jonathan and I need feet massages after the miles and miles we have walked in the last few days.

Coconut milk out of the coconut is so much better!

Riding in a tuk tuk in Bangkok with Jonathan

Tomorrow morning ( 4:30 am to be precise) I head off to the airport to fly to Melbourne! I am getting pretty excited to see my pal, Amy and to be in a country where they speak English and don't just look at you like you have 2 heads. My Thai ( that is the 20 words I know) is getting better, but still I need to try harder as I am a visitor in their country!


Can't believe how fast time is flying by. The last two weeks are a big blur and I feel like my head is spinning. Thanks to everyone for all the Christmas emails ( EX2 folks... the card made my day!!!) calls, etc. I have not been great about responding, but know I think about you all often! While there are countless other stories I could tell.... I need to go pack, so you will just have to wait until I get home! Miss you all and Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Dharma said...

Wow... I'm so glad it all just keeps getting better and better. The scenery, the friends, the entire experience! I'm positive that your NYE's was without a doubt the best that any of us had... and you were worried ;-) Silly Sanna! Can't wait to see some Australia pictures! xoxo

mtbmore said...

I think you meant the last 12 seconds of the New year not 12 minutes. that would have been a whole lotta grapes.

Scud

PS Got your postcard thanks

Anonymous said...

A grape every second for 12 minutes?! Geezus that's a lot of grapes! 720 grapes I think.

Anonymous said...

Hey Banana,
Give my love to Shirley while you are in Melbourne! Give her a big hug and tell her to come stateside for a visit soon! Also be sure to walk the Harbor Bridget in Sydney when you are there. Go @ lunchtime, and see all the hotties jogging with goggles around their necks (for the post jog swim).. UM.. where's my post card?????